[Design-team] MgOpen Modata & accents

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 18:59:44 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 17:12 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> We don't actually have an official body text font (I tend to use
> Liberation Sans when laying out body text), maybe we should pick a
> specific one and add it to our brand guidelines.

What's the target?

Some examples:
      * newspapers like layout, targeted at print => best choice would
        be Times or derivatives (serifs, thin, perfect for multicolumn
        layout)
      * web presentation => I personally like URW Gothic and similar,
        sans serif is a must
      * standard printed text => something like Computer Modern (thought
        that might look too scientific, URW Bookman is an example from
        the other end of spectrum), generally serifs are a need plus it
        needs to be less condensed than Times
      * posters => I have no experience here, but sans-serif font would
        be a better choice, should probably have glyphs that look well
        at bigger sizes (Droid is not a good choice, it's rather
        thin/condensed, designed for small size)
      * ...

Do we have any advised complementary fonts with CJK glyphs (I believe we
have quite a solid user base in China, Japan and Korea as well)?

Martin