[Design-team] Supplemental Wallpapers

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 11:22:58 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 14:07 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 09/01/2010 01:56 PM, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 13:43 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> We will also need the help of a packager to push them in the distro,
> >> Martin or someone else, can you lend a hand?
> >>
> > Let me know when the license check is done.
>
> The idea which came on IRC yesterday was we can make the package soon,
> using the 5 images we know are OK so the package is in early, before the
> freeze, and then update it later with the rest of the images.

That sounds reasonable.

> One thing to take care of is our promise to the authors and license
> compliance, we offered "mention in the commit message for the package,
> mention in the package metadata".

Well, I can mention it in the commit messages, but I'm not sure about
the metadata... AFAIK we need to put all the attributions and licenses
in the docs section of the package (licenses in their full form,
attributions possibly in a form of a list of images+license+attribution)
and of course the package itself would have to have the appropriate
license (in this case probably something like CC-BY-2.0,
CC-BY-SA-3.0, ... I need to check how to properly handle multiple
licenses).

> Also, we have to investigate having an XML file to provide another part
> of the offer "attribution and licensing information will be included in
> the wallpaper chooser widget"
Erm, how? AFAIK in the wallpaper chooser widget under gnome you cannot
display anything else than a tootlip with wallpaper name (plus the
automatic info about what type of wallpaper it is and where it is
located). I'm not sure about KDE, LXDE and XFCE (KDE uses .desktop
instead of XML and LXDE and XFCE probably nothing)...

> > Also, do we want to have it on some spins (other then design suite where
> > it definitely is desirable) / default installation? If so, someone would
> > need to persuade the people in charge (you know, the spins are always
> > having issues with size and this would make matters only worse)...
>
> Hmmm... good call, how we market the feature? A first step is to
> announce it on blogs/Planet to raise awareness (I believe Emily is
> supposed to do this, as she assembled the wiki page).
> For spins, I could see the package on Desktop but, for example, not
> necessarily on Security... I guess is the spin maintainer's call

Sounds good to me.

Martin