[Design-team] Fedora Advertising Banner

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Sun Feb 20 21:37:00 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-02-20 at 22:29 +0100, Fabian A. Scherschel wrote:

> Who said anything about lying or misleading?

I did, was just laying out the two extremes to be avoided.

>  But mentioning ones weaknesses is not what advertising is about.
> There is a whole gamut of grey in between lying and misleading and
> bluntly stating the truth and that gamut is exactly where good
> advertising lives.
>

> Just look at Apple. I hate this company and their products but when it
> comes to advertising, they know what they are doing.

Yeh, I'm particularly amused by the number of iPad advertisements I see
in the subway with the iPad phallically placed between the user's legs.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tuaw.com/media/2010/03/st-oscars-ipad-ad.jpg
http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/files/2010/07/ipad-ad.jpg
http://blog.ziggytek.com/wp-content/uploads/ziggytek/blog/2010/03/ipad-ad.jpg
http://cultofmac.cultofmaccom.netdna-cdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/firstipadad.png

Have you actually tried to lay back with a tablet or even a book in that
position? It's not exactly comfortable. (well at least not for me, it
takes a bit of contortion.)

>  Slogans like this one is why we can't compete with them out there
> IMHO. We can have all the freedom and happiness in our ivory tower,
> but if we can't get it to users none of this matters.

No. The reason we can't compete is because this much ado is made and
time wasted about a filler slogan in a mockup. It's like writing a
restaurant review of a dish while it's still uncooked in the pan.

Now, if all that energy could be harnessed towards instead making
advertising that subliminally convinces viewers that Fedora will endow
them in a desirable way....

Tongue in cheek,