[Design-team] Fedora Advertising Banner

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Sun Feb 20 22:06:37 UTC 2011

Let me try to make a few things clear -

On Sun, 2011-02-20 at 22:45 +0100, Fabian A. Scherschel wrote:
> Anyway, I was actually trying to help. From the last few weeks I can
> see that is not wanted.

We absolutely want your help. You are a talented artist and have a good
eye for design.

> I will concentrate on actually producing some artwork as soon as I can
> get the time to do it as it has become clear to me that the atmosphere
> around here isn't what I mistook it for. To be clear, I don't feel
> offended. Mo telling me on IRC is was full of bullshit didn't offend
> me and so didn't anything else.

There is a big difference between calling an inanimate object (a blog
post as the case was) "bullshit" and calling a person, our teammate,
"retarded." There's always lines you have to be careful to not cross
when using foul language and unfortunately the fellow who wrote the blog
post crossed the line.

Defending his right to be as foul-mouthed as he pleases was *not*
useful, no. We all know anybody can say whatever they want on the
internet and occasionally jerks have a point - this is not news.

>  I believe in telling people what I think and can very well take the
> reverse, but I understand that this isn't wanted in many places. I
> also didn't want to offend anyone of you, I was just trying to pass on
> what I thought was a valid point.

The volume of messages defending the guy was uncalled for. Otherwise I
think it's easily understood you were simply trying to pass on what you
considered useful feedback.