[Design-team] Space for wallpapers in Fedora 16

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Jun 8 11:51:00 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, June 07, 2011 11:45:40 PM Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> The Fedora design team had a meeting today for Fedora 16 planning and
> we'd like to try for a four-wallpaper pack for Fedora 16. (We can
> provide a slideshow XML file for GNOME, if KDE / XFCE / LXDE support
> something like slideshows let us know and we can try to provide it).
>
> We wanted to provide a heads up so that you could account for the space
> early on in the cycle if you wanted all of the wallpapers for your spin;
> in the past when we've done a slideshow set it has caused last-minute
> space issues: we'd very much like to avoid that.
>
> Based on previous wallpapers and the high resolution we are targeting,
> 6-8 MB is probably a good guesstimate of the maximum amount of space we
> might need. In the end, we may need to pull back and focus on really
> polishing only one of the wallpapers; as the release progresses we can
> keep you updated on what to expect.
>
> If you're interested in following the artwork progress, we have an
> artboard here: http://publictest04.fedoraproject.org/artboard/

Hi,
yep, we have a support for slideshow in Plasma. But it depends if it's just
slideshow or time based wp change as we saw before in Gnome. I was thinking
about implemnting it to Plasma but after aseigo's review of the old one Gnome
XML file I decided better not do it. Even aseigo is still waiting for
implementation :)

Just one thing - as Kevin pointed out - the extended slideshow wps should be in
separate subpackage and the default package should be the single one due to live
image space constraints. Especially for Plasma spin.

Another important thing is - we need some simple designs. I really like Fedora
designs as these aren't usually the boring abstract something like in other
distros but today with Gnome Shell, the Plasma Netbook brother (I'm surprised
how similar these two are, very nice for touchable netbooks) - the desktop now
serves for activities (both Shell and Plasma ones). The Plasma Active is going
to be even more using the desktop... So this is something you, as Design team
should consider. But still I hope we can have amazing designs, not just colorful
spits :)

Thanks
Jaroslav