[Design-team] Hi all, this is Matthew Whittle

Matt Whittle mattdwhittle at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 15:44:50 UTC 2012

Hi Nicu,

Awesome.  Let's do this.

Let's start with computer startup.  Currently in both systems (our current
Fedora and 3D Fedora) there is nothing running.

First we boot up email.  Chances are this is a favorite so in both systems
it is easy to access.  Then we boot up IRC.  Chances are this is also a
favorite.  And since they are similar in nature (internet communication),
lets say we put them in a room together in 3D Fedora.  Let's say room we
get to by choosing teleport-E.  In Fedora 17, you can click on Activities
and get a spacial list (even better than an ordered list) to switch between
activities.  In 3D Fedora you would turn right or turn left to switch
between the two open applications.

Ok so then let's say you read an email request from someone asking for a
tutorial.  In Fedora 17, you go to Activities, you pick Desktop 2 because
perhaps that is how you like to be organized, and you open Gimp and Image
Editor (screen capturer).  In 3D Fedora, you would teleport to a new room
and open Gimp and Image Editor on two walls, or if you have that combo as a
common programs, you would teleport to a room that has Gimp and Image
Editor already together.  Let's assume that is teleport-G.

So let's take a look at things so far.  From computer startup, to get here,
in Fedora 17, You click Activities, Evolution and then Activities, and
perhaps locate the IRC app or go to Firefox.  Then you switch to desktop 2
and go to Activities, Applications, Gimp and the Activities, Applications,
Image Editor.  In 3D Fedora, teleport-E gets you to email and IRC,
teleport-G gets you to Gimp and Image Editor.

Now you capture the first screenshot.  You want to move it to a project
folder.  In Fedora 17, let's say you open it in the Desktop 2.  Let's say
you want to move the file into a new project folder named GimpGrid.  In
Fedora 17, you open two windows, navigate to where you want to create the
source folder and create it, navigate to the destination directory,
position the windows on the screen to perform the drag or copy from one and
paste into the other.  In 3D Fedora, files exist in 3D space.  When you
save a file, it shows up on the floor.  When you save it, you give it a
filename and tags.  You don't put it in a folder, you give it tags.  Then
with the File Locator tool, you can look a file up by its tags.  So lets
say the screenshot gets named "Screenshot.png".  We could then tag it
"GimpGrid."

Let's say then you want to check your email.  In Fedora 17, you click on
Activities, Desktop 1, Evolution.  Then if you want to check IRC you click
on Activities, then just IRC.  In 3D Fedora, teleport-E gets you back to
email every time.  Turn right and you are at IRC.  Teleport-G back to
Gimp.

Now let's say we go back to Gimp and open the text editor to write the
Tutorial.  This gets opened in Desktop 2 in 17 and in the Gimp room in 3D.
When you want to switch Activities in 17, you click Activities and get a
small spacial list of 3 applications to select from.  When you want to
switch activies in 3D, you turn left or right to the walls nearby that
contain Gimp or the Screenshot program.

Let's say then you find out you need to update a personal over IM.  In 17,
you go back to Desktop 1 and open IM. In 3D, you hit teleport-E and open IM
on a new wall.

Let's say you are using Firefox for your IRC.  You want to open Firefox to
check the progress and results of the tutorial.  You go to Desktop2 but you
can't open Firefox to because it is open in Desktop 1.  So you open a
couple new tabs in Desktop 1.  In 3D Fedora, you open Firefox on a wall in
the teleport-G room.

Then let's say you are doing IRC, so you are on the IRC tab in Firefox.
You switch to Gimp and do something.  You switch to Text editor and write
something.  Now you want to switch to see the results.  In 17, you click
Activities, Desktop 1, Firefox.  Then once you are in Firefox you select
the tab that contains the results an hit refresh.  In 3D Fedora,
teleport-G, turn left and hit refresh.

Now really, we could create a 2D Fedora 18 that allows you to set up your
Desktops with pre-opened programs, navigate to them with keyboard
shortcuts, and switch between them with "turning left or right" and it
would be just as functional as the 3D Fedora I am suggesting.

.....the 3D Fedora would just have a coolness factor to it that would draw
people....  as long as it really was functional and fast.

I'm going to write another something about Gimp in a sec

Thanks!

Matt