[Design-team] Hi all, this is Matthew Whittle

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Oct 19 09:48:28 UTC 2012

On 10/18/2012 07:29 PM, Matt Whittle wrote:

> Again, someone is working on a project.  They create a room and have all
> the necessary windows for that project open in that room.  They shut
> down the computer, come back the next day, teleport to that room and
> everything is ordered just like they left it.
>
> And if someone wants to take a tutorial while learning Gimp, they could
> create a "learning room" where one wall is Firefox and one is Gimp.
>
> Wow okay I'm talking a lot.  Thoughts?

Just before reading your email I finished some work. I wrote an image
editing tutorial (http://howto.nicubunu.ro/gimp-grid/ if you wonder) so
I needed:
- the image editor, to capture the screenshots;
- the file manager, to move around and upload images and other files;
- the text editor to write the tutorial and html code;
- the web browser to check my progress and results.
All of them while:
- using the IRC window to chat with the person who asked for the tutorial;
- keeping an eye on the email for important business priorities;
- get some important *personal* updated from a family member over IM.

Please help me understand how a 3D game-like interface would make my
work easier in such a scenario.

If your answer is: make a work-related room with all work apps on the
walls or make a room for each possible work scenario, then you are back
at your initial problem, long lists.

Your concept is more suited for something like a game console or a home
media player, not for a general purpose desktop system.