[Design-team] Hi all, this is Matthew Whittle

Matt Whittle mattdwhittle at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 16:29:41 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Thanks, this is really good discussion.

Let's compare.  Let's say I want to open an application - say the game
Mines.  In the current Fedora system, I would click on Activities,
Applications, presumably Games, and then Mines.  Before we go into how it
would work in the new system, let's talk about the stress factors in play.

One large stress factor in using computers is finding an item in a list.
Specifically, it is stressful to find an item in a large ordered list, even
more stressful to find an item in a large unordered list, and most
stressful to find an item in a large unordered list that keeps changing.
It isn't stressful to find an item in a small list (roughly 5 or less
items).  The larger the list the more the stress.  An example of course of
an ordered list is the files in the documents folder.  An example of an
unordered list is the listing of menu items in the edit menu.  An example
of an unordered list that keeps changing is the order of the tabs of open
firefox tabs.  It is in "created" order, so when you shut down firefox
completely and start reopening tabs, their order is now different.

Now, in the 3Dos.  Assuming this is the first time you want to play Mines,
you would build a wall to put Mines on.  Here you are saying "When I want
to play Mines, I will go to this room (presumably the game room) and look
at this wall."  Then you would select the application in a very similar
fashion to how you select it today.  Fedora did a very good job being
"spacial".  Humans are naturally spacial and enjoy it when things are in
the same place the found it the last time.  When you click on activities, a
small relaxing list shows up.  "Windows" and "Applications" could be
considered another small relaxing list.  The list of applications available
to choose from them is large and changes order based on what applications
are available but the filters on the right give you the ability to make it
a small list, but that list of filters is also a larger ordered list, but
when you have that many applications you really don't have an alternative
and the way Fedora is doing it now doesn't need changing in my opinion.  So
you would select the application and it would open up on that wall.

Note, of course if the user thinks that they are not going to play Mines
that often, there is nothing stopping them from not creating a wall and
just using the Fedora user interface that they have been accustomed to.
The Activities menu option would still be there and nothing prevents them
from accessing it if they enjoy that better.

Ok so now let's say that our user enjoys Mines and wants to make a shortcut
for it.  In the current system they can put it on the top and make it so
that in one click they are playing Mines.  It is spacial because the
shortcut is always in the same place.  In the 3D system, in order to make
it fast, there is the teleport tool.  Using the teleport tool you would
teleport yourself to whatever room / wall you chose.  The teleport tool
would be accessed either by clicking in a list or hotkey and then again by
clicking in a list or hotkey they would teleport themselves to where they
want to go.

Ok, you must be thinking, the current Fedora has this new 3D operating
system beat by a long shot.  One click is better than two, and the teleport
tool takes two lists.  Furthermore, if you have a teleport tool, why have a
3D os?  Isn't the teleport tool just a glorified Alt-Tab?

The usefulness doesn't come until you have lots of shortcuts and lots of
windows.

Imagine Firefox now.  Currently, a user can choose 1 favorite to pop up
when they open Firefox.  What if someone has three favorites?  Let's say
they enjoy going to Email, Facebook, and Stocks.  In 3D, they can put each
of these windows on a wall in a room and have that room be the "Favorite
websites" room.  Each website is always on the same wall in the room.  So
the user knows that if they are looking at email, for example, then all
they have to do is turn left and they are at facebook, and turn right and
they are in Stocks, and it is that way every single time - because that is
how they set up their room.  Now let's say they want to surf the web.
Perhaps they teleport into a "Surf the web" room they create so that they
can open a bunch of windows in no particular order.  Yet, as they are
surfing the web, if they want to go back to their email, two hotkeys bring
them there - teleport, email.  Then it is turn left or right to get to
facebook or stocks.  Currently when people surf the web, if they have 10
open windows and 3 of them are their email, stocks and facebook, every time
they want to switch tabs they have to look through an unordered changing
list.

Now let's say that you have 15 favorite apps and want to put all those
shortcuts somewhere.  The user just created a big list for themselves.  And
ate up screen real estate.  The ability to order those 15 apps in 3D space
in several rooms is beautiful, especially when there are similarities
between the apps.  One could put Blender, Gimp and gThumb in one room.  One
could put PDF reader, and two Word Processors in one room.  Whatever was
convenient for the person.  The speed increase comes when the brain can
tell the hand how to switch apps without thinking because everything is
spacially right where they left them.

The walls aren't so much different applications as they are different
frequently used windows.

Again, someone is working on a project.  They create a room and have all
the necessary windows for that project open in that room.  They shut down
the computer, come back the next day, teleport to that room and everything
is ordered just like they left it.

And if someone wants to take a tutorial while learning Gimp, they could
create a "learning room" where one wall is Firefox and one is Gimp.

Wow okay I'm talking a lot.  Thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt