[Design-team] Hi all, this is Matthew Whittle

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Oct 17 06:56:19 UTC 2012

On 10/17/2012 04:35 AM, Matt Whittle wrote:
> If the idea makes organization of windows easier and navigation more
> pleasant and it increases productivity, the chance of failure will be
> less.  While providing lots of eye candy, the goal of this is to create
> a spacial user interface.  Since humans naturally are spacial
> (remembering where things are in 3D space) and sorted lists are a little
> less natural, designing your own house and walking into the GIMP room is
> more relaxing on the brain then hunting for GIMP in a sorted list.  And
> then if you need to switch from GIMP to Firefox, you just walk out of
> the GIMP room into the firefox room - which is also less taxing on the
> brain then locating the firefox window you were on before in the list of
> open windows in one of your workspaces.  Also, if it is delivered in
> small chunks and each chunk provides something cool, then even if it
> eventually fails, a lot of progress is made that you can keep.  What I
> mean is, after creating a 3D background we decide against it, well then
> at least we got a 3D background out of it.

That's the top failure: if I want to start Firefox, I want it *now*,
with a click of the mouse, not walk from room to room and wait.
Also, what if I need both GIMP and Firefox at the same time? say I read
a GIMP tutorial and want to try it, or I design a web layout and have to
edit and see the page at the same time. I am forced to wander around rooms?
An OS (well, a desktop system, which is what we are talking about)
should be unobtrusive and let the uses get the job done fast and easy.