[Design-team] design.next - FAD 2015

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 21 12:51:43 UTC 2014

On 08/21/2014 03:02 AM, Dave Pawson wrote:
> Even harder (or more expensive) for non US members.

The event has to be *some*where, and not everyone is in the same place
or even the same country, so yes, for some folks it's going to be more
difficult than others no matter what. What is important here is to
balance that with the location of the most active members (more people
in one place, more funding available for travel fund) as well as the
venue cost (cheaper venue means more funding to help folks travel to the
event.)

That Ryan and I as two highly active members of the team also cannot
travel due to childcare issues is just an additional point of support
for the Boston area. There are 4 active team members located in or
within convenient and very economical travelling distance to Boston, and
the venue available here is free (and drinks and snacks are free at this
venue as well.) That means the bulk of the funding can be applied
towards travel for folks to come.

Alternatively, if we held the event elsewhere where one or less team
members are located, and in a location without a free venue, we will
necessarily have more travelers pulling from the same budget meaning
less people overall will be able to attend. We'd like as many folks as
possible to come.

If it's really desired to have an event outside of Boston, and there is
a strong case for that: I can't make it. I can't speak for Ryan but I do
think it'd be pretty difficult for him to attend given the timing. It
would likely be an event that neither of us could attend. If you think
the event could work without us being there (I'm not going to say that's
not possible,) by all means, feel free to step in and help plan that.