f8 desktop livecd

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 16:59:07 UTC 2007

On 8/2/07, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> For OO.o and KDE, they are split. For other packages, they are not.
> Whether to split or not is a long, drawn-out conversation. (Basically,
> you make building liveCDs easier at the cost of making all languages
> Just Work much harder.)

Is there a fundamental technology shift that we have to swallow? Or is
it more a death by a thousand cuts if we go in and start package
surgery?   For crap that has a lot of translation coverage, then it
becomes more important an issue.  I'll rephrase the question, if we
decided that a single package needed to have its translations split
off.. is there a known set of things that need to be adjusted? And do
we have an idea what the next largest package is that would add
additional flexibility for regional cd creation?

it's never easy...but is it too hard to do by F9?  I think if we are
serious about focusing, then livecds are the best vechicle we have to
explore focused space, in a way that gives external community a chance
to help define cool foci.  And if we can get to the point where
regional cds are possible, that will significantly add in our
flexibility moving forward.

-jef"Penalizing openoffice because it does have significant
translation support is a little ass-backwards."spaleta