f8 desktop livecd

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Aug 2 17:03:02 UTC 2007

Jeff Spaleta (jspaleta at gmail.com) said:
> On 8/2/07, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> > For OO.o and KDE, they are split. For other packages, they are not.
> > Whether to split or not is a long, drawn-out conversation. (Basically,
> > you make building liveCDs easier at the cost of making all languages
> > Just Work much harder.)
>
> Is there a fundamental technology shift that we have to swallow? Or is
> it more a death by a thousand cuts if we go in and start package
> surgery?

The issue is that as soon as you split the package, you end up having
to track both all the splits of that package and the union of all
languages that have translations manually in comps for all releases
where you may have that package. Moreover, users cannot easily add
these languages later to their system.

If you do not split, all these problems go away.

Bill