f8 desktop livecd

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 13:02:10 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 14:05 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> %{lang} tagging is simple enough to take advantage of with the live
> images if we want.  Just needs a) way to specify it (return of
> langsupport!) and b) then actually setting the rpm macro.
>
> You're kind of screwed if you ever want to add more translations, but
> that is a tradeoff that could be made.  But the discussion about that is
> going on in a different thread too :-)

After Panu showed the necessary queryformat magic in the other thread,
I actually sat down to see how hard it is to get the necessary
information out of rpm to do that. The result is a very rough shell
script that spits out a list of packages that you need to reinstall when
_install_langs changes. This is just a proto-prototype:

- You can probably do the same thing much better in python

- A real solution must handle language support groups as well

- I don't know if this approach will work for removal of languages, too.
  (Does --replacepkg ever remove files ?)

- It would probably be better to use a dedicated /etc/rpm/macros.lang
file

- An actual implementation must decide where to expose this
functionality: in pirut, since it is about installing packages or in
s-c-language, since it is about language support ?

Maybe this inspires somebody to work on an actual implementation.

Matthias