new user creation module in firstboot

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Oct 4 12:36:20 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 10:49:06PM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Good design makes easy things easy and more complicated things possible.
> It also hides irrelevant things.

Hence the "advanced" button.

> Why do you need to select a specific user id when creating a new user ?
> I guess you are not creating a new user at all, but trying to recreate
> an existing one, to reuse the home directory, etc. Right ?

Often, yes. But I also like to have all user ids the same at home so
usernames on removable media just match up. I don't have complicated enough
home network (or enough users!) to justify LDAP or even NIS, and anyway I
need disconnected operation. So matching up user ids is nice.