Updates next steps

charles zeitler cfzeitler at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 07:32:16 UTC 2010

Do what thou wilt
shall  be the whole  of the Law.

On 4/23/10, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> I believe your conflating a couple of our deliverables.  There is
> Rawhide, which is our development stream.  All kinds of fun stuff
> happens here, and this is where the new stuff lands to be tested out and
> experimented with.  If you build it, it'll show up here.

i don't know if i'm _that_ adventurous.

"many changes are not heavily tested (or tested at all) "
"packages in Rawhide can and do break without warning"

> People who wish
> to live in the edge have the choice of using rawhide, or updating every
> 6 months or so to the next Branched tree.

actually, i have been receiving updates to newer versions, as well as bug &
security fixes, in a very timely fashion.
(and, i'm very satisfied with the quality of those updates)
but let's say Fedora goes this route:

waiting those months might mean missing too many updates,
but: rawhide will become Fedora N+1.

so- would some steps be taken to ensure that software
being worked on for Fedora 14 will work on Fedora 13?

> limiting updates to the bugfix and security issue type should not have
> an impact on Fedora's ability to innovate.

i'm not so sure. those other updates allow new software to reach
more people, with less delay, and "providing" (at least for upstream
partners) "a much larger audience and more feedback"
> --
> Jesse Keating
> Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!
> identi.ca: http://identi.ca/jkeating