GTK+3 advisiblity for F14?

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue Aug 3 02:16:42 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-08-01 at 22:33 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 08:34 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Hi, folks. Just a question - since GNOME 3 is being delayed and won't
> > ship in F14, does it make sense to have a few apps (but not many) ported
> > to GTK+ 3 for F14? I can see it causing more trouble along the lines of
> > the gnome-python2-desktop package. Would it be better to move them back
> > to GTK+ 2 and postpone porting to GTK+ 3 until F15? What's the plan in
> > general for backing off from 2.90.x versions of GNOME bits? Thanks!
>
> I discussed this with Richard Hughes, and a number of other people at
> GUADEC, and the current plan is to ship what's already ported, and to
> make sure that what wasn't ported works as expected.
>
> This will obviously need to be discussed with Matthias, who has a better
> idea of how we want to spend our time for F14, and whether a GTK+ 3.x
> pre-release dependency is a good idea.

GTK3 is not scary or difficult by itself, and porting to it goes module
by module, so there is no strong reason to roll back everything for
modules that are working fine. And we have successfully dealt with a
number of the wide-spread libraries that are linked against gtk, either
by removing the gtk dependency or by making a parallel-installable
version: libnotify, libunique, gnome-desktop, gtksourceview, webkitgtk.

There are some more gtk-using libraries that need to be handled, but the
hard problems are around pygtk and the widespread use of python
throughout the desktop.

I have not yet had time to fully understand how the proposed 2.32 plans
to handle these problems, so I don't have a final proposal for F14 yet,
beyond moving the Gnome3 feature to F15.

I'll try to get a clearer picture of 2.32 tomorrow.