Simple Scan

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Thu Mar 25 08:22:38 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 13:14 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Nils Philippsen <nils at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Completely removing xsane/xsane-gimp from comps was totally uncalled
> > for, I've added xsane again as optional and xsane-gimp conditional on
> > gimp. Not seeking my input before doing so was just bad style, I've
> > repeatedly asked on this list(*) to involve out-of-team-maintainers if
> > you intend to do something to their components. It's really not that
> > hard.
>
> Good point Nils, apologies for that.

Accepted and sorry for harsh words :-).

>   I'm a bit pressed here trying to
> sort out the image and unify the kickstart and comps.  xsane was one
> of the random exclusions.
>
> We could just make this change for F14 or not make it at all yet; any
> other opinions?

Mind, I'm not against relegating xsane to not being the default, it is
just to complicated for casual users.

As I said, I've made xsane an optional package and xsane-gimp a
conditional based on gimp in comps. This way people that want to have
the stand-alone xsane can choose to do so in the installer and people
that choose gimp get the plugin automatically. For me that's sufficient,
I don't think we need to wait until F-14 for that.

I'd ask of you to put something in the release notes, though, so people
don't get surprised if they don't get xsane per default anymore when
selecting the Graphics group.

Thanks,
Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty