laughlin-backgrounds-gnome size increase

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 08:07:24 UTC 2010

> With the latest version of l-b-g, the "time of day" backgrounds were
> added to the -gnome subpackage.  This ballooned the package by 20+megs
> and has caused some of the live images to overflow.  Previously none of
> the actual background files were in -gnome and I'm curious why the
> change was made at this point, particularly when in previous releases
> there were no images in the -gnome subpackage.

The reason why they're in -gnome subpackage is simple: this kind of
thing is supported in gnome only. The reason why this late is also
simple -- we (design-team) agreed on our regular IRC meeting that we
want to make the default wallpaper with time-of-day animation again and
this kind of improvement is always done last in wallpaper design. IIRC
last time we did time-of-day animation was Fedora 9 so you can imagine
why for the past few releases -gnome subpackage was image-empty.

I apologize for the inconvenience -- I should have probably notified the
desktop folks ahead that it was highly probable that l-b-g-gnome would
increase in size rather drastically (I myself had the info week ahead of
the packaging)...

Regards,
Martin