Fedora 14 Beta RC2 (inc. live) available for desktop testing

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Sep 21 15:42:46 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 15:51 +0100, Michael Whapples wrote:
> I haven't managed to test out the specific package as to prepare a
> system while orca is broken is a bit hard, but I can confirm just
> installing python-xlib (I did the command: yum --assumeyes python-xlib)
> does allow orca to run.
>
> However I think there is still a problem somewhere in the accessibility
> chain as orca isn't reporting any information on what has focus, etc. As
> I said the GTK warning you mentioned does concern me, if atk-bridge
> cannot be found then GTK is not going to be providing information to
> at-spi (that's my understanding). Someone on the orca list has suggested
> setting a gconf key (/desktop/gnome/interface/at-spi-dbus to true so
> that GTK knows to use that version of atk-bridge.

I'm definitely worried about this too. It also points up the fact that
we have no accessibility release criteria, which is a bad omission, we
should add some. Would you be available for an off-list discussion to
educate me in a11y stuff so I can write up some criteria?

In RC3, with the orca dependency fixed, orca does run, and we're down to
just one warning at the console on the desktop spin when starting any
GNOME app. I'll investigate that as much as I can when I'm done with
desktop validation testing.

> As a side question, is it possible for me to SSH or something like that,
> into the live environment so I possibly can get some of this information
> on my own and not have to enter commands just hoping I have typed it
> correct?

As Bruno says, I think sshd is not running by default. You'd have to
bring the network up and start sshd before you could connect, I'm
afraid.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey