How to change themes (was Re: How do we change fonts now)

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Thu Feb 17 23:34:54 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 00:21 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 17.02.2011, 23:04 +0000 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
> > On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 23:13 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > >
> > > What about my other question: Shouldn't gnome-apps pick up xsettings or
> > > is this a GTK2 vs. GTK3 thing?
> >
> > They pick up XSettings, which are stored in GSettings, and exported
> > through gnome-settings-daemon. See the xsettings plugin there.
>
> Thanks for the info, however it doesn't work as I would expect. If you
> download the Xfce spin nightly you will see that GNOME apps like
> gpk-application are ignoring XSettings and look different than other
> Xfce or GTK apps and don't respond to theme changes as they did
> previously. gnome-settings-daemon is not running.

You might want to check what XSettings actually get exported from XFCE's
manager, and compare it to the list gnome-settings-daemon uses:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-settings-daemon/tree/plugins/xsettings/gsd-xsettings-manager.c#n185

And if you're mixing GTK2 and GTK3 applications, make sure your new
theme has a GTK3 variant.

Cheers