How to change themes (was Re: How do we change fonts now)

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Feb 18 19:36:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 21:58 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 17.02.2011, 14:55 -0500 schrieb Clyde E. Kunkel:
> > Please, oh please, someone tell me how to change the fonts in gnome 3
> > now.
>
> And I'd like to know how to change themes. This is not yet implemented,
> right? As this affects other desktops as well (think of
> gnome-packagekit), it should be high priority.
>
> And shouldn't GNOME apps respect xsettings anyway and pick up changes
> made say with xfce4-appearance-settings or lxappearance?

GTK+ 2 and 3 respect the same theme and fonts settings as they always
have. There is two things to keep in mind

1) The xsettings manager implementation in gnome-settings-daemon is now
backed by dconf, no longer gconf. So to change, you can e.g.

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme 'Clearlooks'
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface font-name 'Sans'

2) The theme setting affects both GTK+ 2 and 3, and the only theme that
is currently available for both is 'Adwaita'.