design and communication issues [was Re: How do we change fonts now]

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Feb 28 04:58:07 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-02-27 at 22:44 -0600, Jason D. Clinton wrote:

>         It's also not easy to find the correct information. People who
>         have
>         issues with GNOME 3 design are generally referred to
>         gnome3.org, or the
>         FAQ at http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/FAQ , or the
>         design
>         whiteboards at
>         http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Whiteboards ;
>         I've been looking through all this stuff for ten minutes and I
>         can't
>         find anything that accurately reflects the current actual
>         status of the
>         shutdown/restart/suspend design. The document on this -
>         http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Whiteboards/SystemStopRestart -
>         refers explicitly to a 'Restart' option which does not exist
>         in my
>         up-to-date F15 system. So what *is* the party line here,
>         anyway?
>
> What I hope you would take away from my admonishment and suggestion is
> only the suggestion component: lurk on the IRC channel so you can pop
> over and ask *before* you respond. Often times, the discussion to come
> up with the right response is itself informative.

Um. I'm sorry, but are you really telling me the answer to my question
is 'ignore everything on our many official web sites and ask on IRC'?
And you're giving me advice on *my* workflow?

> Sure. And I understand that. But I think you might feel differently if
> you had a chance to get a more nuanced answer from the decision makers
> involved in an interactive forum like IRC and then you could, perhaps,
> pass along that nuanced position more effectively.
>
> You *are* doing a good job as evidenced by the vast majority of the
> messages that you send to test@ but I hope that you see that I'm
> suggesting a subtle change in your work flow that might, at least,
> make the F15 release go slightly better.

I do see that, yes. I hope you're also seeing the issues I'm
highlighting in your workflows.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey