How do we change fonts now

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Mon Feb 28 09:37:38 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-02-27 at 19:01 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-02-27 at 20:46 -0600, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
>

> >         The native DPI of one of my laptops is 221 (Sony Vaio P) and
> >         the other
> >         is 140 (Vaio Z). Needless to say, 11pt at 96dpi looks fairly
> >         uselessly
> >         tiny on both. Assuming 96dpi seems rather the contrary of all
> >         the other
> >         design decisions in GNOME 3 - assuming brokenness and
> >         accommodating it,
> >         rather than 'doing the right thing' for the long term.
> >
> > And what do you have the X server report when you plug said laptops in
> > to external monitors or projectors? It's not even remotely a trivial
> > problem to solve...
>
> How about defaulting to 96dpi when you don't know any better, rather
> than all the time?

How about you don't make assumptions on how the code is written, when
it's not written this way?

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-settings-daemon/tree/data/org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings.gschema.xml.in.in#n13
and:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-settings-daemon/tree/plugins/xsettings/gsd-xsettings-manager.c#n263

So if you didn't much about with the default configuration (or inherited
it from a GNOME 2.x installation), we use the X server's DPI.