comps changes for f15

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 13 17:47:38 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 12:33 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 11:54 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >
> >> It didn't happen back then. I think we can get back to 700M with some
> >> discipline.
> >
> > one of the common themes of the F14 review cycle was ridiculing the lack
> > of an office suite on the desktop image, particularly given the presence
> > of 'useless' things like planner (I'm paraphrasing from the reviews, not
> > giving my own personal opinion). I know we have good arguments against
> > including an office suite, and I suspect planner is just in there as a
> > hangover from when we tried to include GNOME Office, but there does seem
> > to be a consistent impression in reviews that the current package choice
> > seems bizarre.
>
> It's all a workaround for the fact that we don't have an application
> installer...

We could have had a half-a-dozen app installers if we weren't off
reinventing the wheel every time.

Seriously, if having app selection is so important then use the tools we
have. Implementing a simple 'install an office suite' button is utterly
trivial and completely available right now.

doing it on the live install is even more trivial with the currently
available tools.

The perfect is the enemy of the good.

-sv