Drop start.fedoraproject.org in favour of about:home

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 00:10:23 UTC 2012

On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 12:37:23 -0400
Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 11:07:31AM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> >   Elad Alfassa <elad at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > >I suggest we just drop this page completely and use the default
> > >firefox about:home start page instead.
> > >Thoughts?
> > I actually like about:blank .
>
> With Firefox 13+, I like "about:newtab" even better. But I think
> people who prefer those things can easily set them, and the browser
> start page remains an important way of getting new users engaged in
> our community.

I think speed dial is actually the best what we can use. I
suspect homepage is really useless unless you use it instead of rss
reader to read the news.

But lets look at the current one first. What's in:
1. search -- superfluous, current web browsers have search integrated
   in their UIs and in my experience people use it
2. fedora planet posts -- that's what default configs of rss readers
   should include, why duplicating it in a web browser?
3. announcements -- well this one's hard, the mailing list probably
   does not have a rss feed, or does it?
4. a bunch of links -- can be better managed with initial speed dial
   config

Furthermore, since major players in the browser feed are already using
speed dial (chrome by default, firefox for new tabs), people are most
likely used to that.

There's only one thing that bugs me a little. One of the biggest sources
of traffic on my blog is from start.fedorapeople.org (even more than
from the planet itself) so what we are discussing *might* not reflect
the real state of things, actually... Are there any statistically
significant data (I realize one low-traffic blog is not statistically
significant) regarding the real-world usage of start.fp.o?

Cheers,
Martin