Updated Fedora Workstation PRD draft

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Dec 2 16:17:32 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-02 at 11:40 +0000, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 13:59:06 +0100
> Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <cschalle at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> After having read the thread so far.
> Fedora is morphing from a distro to an OS platform,
> based on Gnome N(N+)
>
> Hope this doesn't sound too far off topic.
>
> 1: Will Gnome then be proffered to non-Fedora distros,
> 2: or will Gnome (Upstream) in effect be Fedora OS.
>
> Because if 1:, what incentive is there for "new" people to try
> Fedora OS, as they can carry on with foo distro.

In my post I was using GNOME as an example of things, but it wasn't
intended to make it sound like it was the only one that mattered. I'd
characterize the two approaches I discussed in my reply to Marcel as
'the distribution is the product' vs. 'the distribution is the
platform'. In the second case, you can see different desktops as each
defining the 'user interaction' layer of different products, which can
all be implemented on the platform called Fedora.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey