Updated Fedora Workstation PRD draft

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 4 16:44:31 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 10:17:10AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> So the two main areas for sysadmins you highlighted were multiple
>> monitor support, and handling large numbers of terminal windows.
>> Those are already addressed as things Workstation is looking at in the
>> Other users section, but it seems they actually fit into at least the
>> 'corporate developer' user case as well.  I'd suggest moving those two
>> specific items into one of those other user cases as a starting point
>> and move on from there.
>
> *nod*
>
>> I'm not sure targeting sysadmins specifically is something Workstation
>> can focus on, because their needs often get into specific areas that
>> aren't really what Workstation is for.  Things like admin tools, etc.
>> However, we can certainly try and address the more general needs from
>> a sysadmin group, and of course we can (and should) solicit feedback
>> from them as we go.
>
> Yeah, I hear the point about not developing or focusing on admin tools.
>
> I just don't want to send the message that the new main Fedora desktop
> offering is intended to be exclusionary of feedback from our technical
> users, and sysadmins in particular (because that group is important to the

Sigh.  The PRD is not a marketing document.  THE PRD IS NOT A
MARKETING DOCUMENT.

Seriously, if the PRD is being used to send messages, then we're
failing at actually doing any marketing of the products.  It is
entirely feasible, and likely desirable, to have the PRD be the thing
that the WGs use to focus their development with, and marketing be the
thing the Fedora project uses to reach a broader audience.

josh