Criterion revision proposal: KDE default applications

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 08:58:15 UTC 2013

On lau 14.des 2013 02:06, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-12-14 at 00:44 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> On fös 13.des 2013 20:42, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>
> So, let's rewind a bit and look at things. The main reason we have a
> divergence is due to space on the live images.

An restrain that the sub-community's they themselves bestowed upon it.

As far as I know they have been free to decide their own size for quite
sometime.

> Perhaps the simple thing to do going forward is bump KDE and GNOME to
> 2GB max sizes,

I would say that would be the wrong approach since as soon as you start
limited things to sizes you start compromising the desktop experience
you intent for the end user which is one of the underlying cause that
has been giving this half finished feeling with our default desktop.

>   ostensibly one that's CD sized and one that's
> larger-than-CD-sized

It's nonsense to ship two sized images ( as well as having multiple ks
files in general for DE's ) for the same desktop environment and we
already have sub-communities ( xfce/lxde for example ) which advertise
themselves being less resources hungry and smaller ( which would cater
to the cd-sized image crowd ).

> anyhow, desktop and KDE teams: what do you think of this idea?

There are more desktop environments that we ship in the distribution
then KDE and Gnome and more likely that more will be packaged then not.

JBG