Live image / DVD package set merge

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Dec 16 02:15:58 UTC 2013

Hi, folks. So as a quick test of the DVD / live package set stuff, I
just built an F21 live image from fedora-live-desktop.ks - rather than
fedora-livecd-desktop.ks .

Even with absolutely no tweaks or optimization, it comes out at the huge
size of...1.2GB.

So I think it's entirely feasible to bump the size target to 2GB, drop
fedora-livecd-desktop.ks entirely, and just build from
fedora-live-desktop.ks, giving the live image the same package set as
DVD. We wouldn't wind up with a crazy huge image or anything, and we'd
have lots of space inside the size target and not have to worry about
that problem.

There are certainly optimizations possible; if we did this, we could
focus more on optimizing things in comps. One obvious one is the dep
chain that pulls in perl. fedora-livecd-desktop.ks drops 'linux-atm'
from the live image to prevent perl getting pulled in and save space. In
comps, linux-atm comes in via the 'dial-up' group. So an obvious tweak
there is to move 'dial-up' from being a default group for GNOME to being
an optional group - this makes sense anyway, I think. People who still
use dial-up or plug directly into a PPPoATM modem or something can
select the group easily enough, everyone else doesn't get useless stuff.

If any of the other package drops on the live image make sense to
preserve for a larger live image and DVD install, we can look at how to
implement them in comps (ideally).

If people are interested in this I can come up with a concrete proposal
pretty fast, I think. Even with the whole three-product thing rolling
along, I think it makes sense to do this, since it wouldn't be
particularly difficult and would simplify things a lot; I think it's
possible that the 3 product stuff gets pushed out to F22, and if that
happens, it'd be nice not to have fuss about the size limit and
differences between DVD and live installs for F21 testing.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey