Live image / DVD package set merge

Ryan Lerch rlerch at redhat.com
Mon Dec 16 14:54:35 UTC 2013

On Mon 16 Dec 2013 09:43:59 AM EST, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> On mán 16.des 2013 14:10, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>>> I'm no desktop expert but to me this is being approached the wrong way.
>>>
>>> Stop looking at the size and focus on the end user experience in the
>>> end
>>> of the day that's what matters not the size...
>> Thanks, that is exactly what we are doing.
>>

> Upstream perhaps downstream historically and currently ( with Adam's
> proposal which simply increases the size to the $next_target_size
> which is wrong ) not so much.
>
> We need to diminish that thought entirely, essentially say to
> ourselves it will be what it will be, It might be large it might be
> small we do not care since our focus is entirely on the end user
> experience ( which logically speaking cannot be determine by or be
> allowed to be dictated by size )...
>
> JBG

One could also argue that user experience also includes the time to
download & install an operating system. If the live image is bloated,
this will negatively impact the experience for users using slower
internet connections. The size of the image should still be something
that is _considered_, not just thrown out as a "we don't have to care
about this anymore".

regards,
ryanlerch