Live image / DVD package set merge

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Dec 16 21:08:21 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-16 at 14:56 -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-12-16 at 09:23 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >
> > We already gave up on CD size. For F20 we targeted 1GB (power-of-ten
> > bytes), and it's pared _to the bone_ to make that.
>
> Don't forget that RPM changelogs have been deleted from specs in order
> to save space. (I didn't even realize those were installed.)
>
> > especially that last section, those are things the desktop team clearly
> > wants in the Proper Experience, as they're in the GNOME desktop comps
> > group (most of them). They're being cut "purely for space reasons".
>
> I think the comment is halfway outdated: those GNOME apps were indeed
> removed to save space, but I'm not sure that Matthias would put them
> back even if there was enough room. None of those apps are really
> necessary, and the plan is for some of them to be featured in GNOME
> Software. So I don't think they're necessarily part of the Proper
> Experience.

Cool, but that's not a problem for making the experience consistent:
just do it in comps instead, put them in an option group.

Since the current framing of the proposal seems to be blocking on
fedora-next, can I do some judo and make the proposal "Let's decide on a
coherent GNOME package set and define that in comps instead of in the
spin kickstart" instead? If there's something desktop really really
wants that can't be done in comps - dropping stuff that's in @default ,
or something - then that will have to stay in the kickstart, but I think
we could move stuff like the above into comps.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey