Power saving by default in Fedora Desktop

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Wed Nov 6 23:22:54 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Hi all.
> It'd be awesome if we could make sure default Fedora Workstation will have
> "laptop mode" on by default.
> Right now I need to run a script that changes many power tunables (got the
> list from powertop) to save battery on my laptop. It should be default.
> Perhaps detect if the machine is on-battery and if so enable all power
> saving features (disable watchdog, increase the
> vm_dirty_writeback_centisecs value, and so on)?
> Can this be part of upower? Can we have a setting in Settings for that?
> (Something like "Enable power saving when on battery (decreases
> performance)"?

I'd check those on a case-by-case basis.

Some of the features are too important to disable or tweak down (mo' battery, or
lose data if the power goes off?), and some of them probably don't do anything much
on non-spinning drives for example.

I'd also be interested to know how many of those give you an actual benefit in terms
of power-saving. Killing application and driver wakeups, and aggressive screen
dimming probably get you more tangible benefits.