Power saving by default in Fedora Desktop

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Nov 7 16:54:32 UTC 2013

Lennart Poettering (mzerqung at 0pointer.de) said:
> > Isn't this the sort of thing that should ship by default? (Whether in a
> > tuned profile or something else.)
>
> The last time I discussed this with Matthew Garrett we came to the
> conclusion that this isn't something we want for the general case. Best
> is to ping him about this.
>
> I am pretty sure that "tuned" is nothing we ever want to ship by
> default. To "tune" something is the opposite of having good defaults. We
> want good defaults, no tuning.

*shrug* In a multi-product universe, you need a mechansim for packaging and
applying said defaults, and doing it by patching systemd or the kernel seems
a less scalable solution than packaging the defaults separately. Whether
that's applied via tuned, or just packaging a sysctl file, can be discussed.

Bill