[Design-team] Different Backgrounds for the Lock Screen vs the desktop

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 15:36:48 UTC 2013

On 09/19/2013 02:55 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> I don't think calling the SIG the 'GNOME SIG' makes sense though,
> especially since that's an upstream community's name. I would think it'd
> be better named, 'Desktop Playpen SIG,' 'Desktop Customization SIG,' or
> something like that.

I've been a Gnome users since days of the helixcode and this is Gnome
and we are not ashamed or trying to hide that fact under the label
"Desktop" and this is done right and out of respect towards the
community and in accordance with how the other DE as it should have been
done from the start.

What is, what always has been and always will be wrong is to have
something called "Desktop" or "Default Desktop", "Default Workstation"
quite frankly it is and and always has been dictated by RH what it is
and will clearly be continued to do so since all the RH employees had
signed up to the WG nomination page before the community even knew of
it's existence.

The fact is that we have 7 other desktop environments which community
members are working on and just been cause they are not part of the Red
Hat desktop team or not being paid to work on their desktop environment
and do not suffer from the Gnome tunnel vision they do and should get
equal presentation and equal opportunity to advance themselves with in
our community.

And if something should be done in our upcoming changes it would be to
kill the default desktop, merge the desktop list with gnome list and
give the Gnome community the freedom instead of tying their hands
"generic default" which does not work for anybody or proxy control them
through FESCO decision.

There the Gnome developers could keep the "traditional spin" going while
the Gnome community members have the tools to play around without
interfering with that ( which is what I'm currently working towards )
because in the end of the day they will need a vibrant community
surrounding themselves if they are going to pass their own release
testing matrix.

QA wont be doing that laber work for them.

JBG