updated gartner report on PC shipments

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Wed Aug 6 16:00:24 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2014 at 02:37:24PM +0200, drago01 wrote:
> > Yeah people consider the systems they have "good enough" and see no
> > need to buy new devices for the sake of buying new devices.
> > The same is starting to happen with the tablet marked (where the
> > growth is shrinking). As for smartphones carriers have found ways to
> > let people buy new phones every or every second year.
>
> Citation needed. I mean, that makes some sense, but I literally linked to an
> analyst report which paints a different picture. (Not a bleak picture, mind
> you -- it's one where we have opportunity.)

Something like this?
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/08/op-ed-tables-really-are-pcsbecause-theres-no-point-in-buying-new-ones/

> > So not sure what this thread is all about.
>
> Well, it's a little out of context since I posted it by accident.

I'm pretty sure that we can easily find similar stories about cars:
"Car sales are down!"
But nobody's claiming that there are less cars on the road (unfortunately)

That's probably what happens in a mature market (cars, fridges, vacuum cleaners...)