Developer focus for Fedora workstation

Adam Batkin adam at batkin.net
Tue Aug 19 20:51:04 UTC 2014

On 08/19/2014 04:24 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>>> [..]  and connecting/disconnecting external displays/projectors.
>>
>> Huh? This can't be any easier really. You plug it in  .. it works. The
>> only thing we can do here is to make it plug in the cable for you but
>> we lack hardware for that ;)
>[..]
> But this is an upside-down way of going about this, isn't it? How high a
> priority are external display / multi-monitor concerns in the context of
> a broader set of developer use cases?
>
> Maybe more along the lines of what Andreas was trying to get at: What
> are the more broad developer use cases that are important to the
> developers who've gone OS X?

I agree that debating multi-screen setups sounds like nitpicking, but
the larger point I was making was that Linux on a laptop was (is?) not
nearly as pleasant as OS X (or even Windows these days). I like FLOSS
but I also like my job, so my laptop needs to be able to connect to a
projector (and wifi, and wake up from sleep, etc...) 100% of the time so
I'm not fumbling during a presentation. So I have a Mac laptop (running
OS X - that's the key, I don't care what kind of hardware I have, but I
know that Mac + OS X works).

So other than things like "hardware functions properly" I don't know
what *else* makes people go to another OS. I'd say that Linux is much
better on the desktop today than it was 10 or so years ago when people
started buying Macs en masse, so that probably hurt us.

But I *DON'T* think that people go to Macs because the developer tools
are better. It's the same tools on Mac vs Linux. And the proof is that
they are all deploying to Linux anyway.

I really think that it's a case of "death by 1000 cuts". And that's why
I'm trying to raise a little bit of a fuss to try to make that case and
see if I can convince people to work toward fixing some of those issues
as a common goal.

-Adam Batkin