Developer focus for Fedora workstation

Adam Batkin adam at batkin.net
Tue Aug 19 21:02:47 UTC 2014

On 08/19/2014 04:47 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> In that particular case, I'm not sure that it's only a matter of designer
> input, but rather of manpower for developers initiated in the arcane of
> window management.

I've been looking through a lot of bugs (both on the Gnome BZ and from
my own use) involving multiple monitors, workspaces, window stacking and
focus. I think I know what the problem is: There is no specification. No
one has fully thought out how it *should* work, so there's no way to
tell if something is working properly. Is something a bug, or just how
it happens to work, and most people are satisfied enough (or know that
complaining is more work than dealing with an inconvenient UX)?

If you wander through the Gnome BZ you will see a ton of things like "I
think it makes sense that the window focus should do X when you close a
window like this..." and someone else saying "okay here's a patch". This
stuff is complex enough that it shouldn't just evolve over time through
a series of Bugzilla tickets. And you should be able to understand the
[intended] behavior without having to read all of the code or look
through the history of every BZ.

Proposal:
Let's come up with a specification ("list of rules") for how "we" would
like these things to work (window stacking and focus, and how that
interacts with multiple monitors and multiple workspaces). This includes
different configuration parameters - both things exposed through a UI
somewhere and things that may be hidden - that can affect the behavior.

Once that's done, it will be possible to see if the implementation
matches what was intended, and if there's a bug, it can be fixed more
easily than someone posting a random patch to a BZ saying "hey I came up
with a better behavior for X" and everyone trying to figure out how that
fits into the bigger scheme of things.

(why Fedora Workstation and not Gnome upstream for this conversation?
IMHO our goals are quite different than Gnome's, plus I suspect that
there are resources lurking around here that may have the bandwidth
and/or skills to accomplish some of these things and further Fedora and
Red Hat's goals)

-Adam Batkin