Image viewer applications

Tadej Janež tadej.janez at tadej.hicsalta.si
Tue Aug 26 17:47:24 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-08-26 at 08:55 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:

> Are you suggesting Shotwell over gthumb? If so, why?  gthumb does a much
> better job of conforming to our HIG than eog and Shotwell, and it seems
> to have a comparable feature set to Shotwell.

I've used Shotwell quite extensively and don't understand why you are
advocating so strongly against it being the default photo *management*
application?

I understand the point that Shotwell Previewer isn't really suited for
being the default image viewer. But as a photo management application,
Shotwell has some nice features:
- non-destructive photo editing (it doesn't touch your original photos,
edits are stored in a database and applied on the fly)
- simple adjusting of the time and date of multiple photos at once
- automatic grouping of photos into events based on the time taken
- organizing photos by events, tags or via the file system hierarchy

I didn't have the time to test the new gThumb and I only saw the
screenshots, so please tell me, how does gThumb compare in the above
areas?

Regards,
Tadej