Bugs and RFE's for Fedora Workstation

Ryan Lerch rlerch at redhat.com
Fri Dec 5 17:50:05 UTC 2014

On 12/05/2014 12:09 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 12:34:58PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Ryan Lerch <rlerch at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> With the creation of the 3 Fedora flavours, the process of tracking bugs and
>>> RFE's for Fedora workstation is a lot more muddled than it already is.
>>> Should this be something that we should focus on as a meta-task for the F22
>>> release?
>>>
>>> Bugzilla currently tracks issues on a per-package (component in the Bugzilla
>>> terminology ) basis, so some packages are used in all 3 flavours, but others
>>> are more specific to Workstation (e.g. gnome-shell). And some of these have
>>> a lot of bugs in the NEW status (gnome-shell has over 830).
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what the solution is here, but from a user point of view, the
>>> experience for filing a bug, RFE or providing feedback for the workstation
>>> is very confusing. IMHO, we shouldn't expect users to know what component
>>> their bug is against, or if they should file a bug upstream or not.
>>>
>>> So i'm reaching out for thoughts / ideas on how to make this better.
>> We have the Workstation trac instance.  For RFE's specific to
>> workstation, people could file those there.  I know trac is horrible,
>> but we have nothing better at the moment.  Package specific problems
>> still likely belong in the per-package component in bugzilla though.
> I have to agree with per-package BZ filing for now, even though BZ is
> also horrible in its own way.  Also it could get confusing for users
> to have different guidance scattered around Fedora docs and other
> online resources.

Getting a list of components that are almost exclusively Fedora
Workstation's responsibility would also be useful too (or the ones that
we care the most about -- like packages and components that are included
in the default install) might be a good way to go as well.

And tracking the stats on these, and starting to try to triage these. I
am happy to help out with the triage efforts.

cheers,
ryanlerch