Application is ready notification

Ryan Lerch rlerch at redhat.com
Mon Dec 15 19:26:23 UTC 2014

On 12/15/2014 02:08 PM, drago01 wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 8:04 PM, Ryan Lerch <rlerch at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> Focus stealing prevention ... i.e you don't want the password you have
>>> been typing in a terminal to get into the chat app you just lanuched
>>> ;)
>>>
>>> For some cases it triggers even though it shouldn't in that cases some
>>> apps are broken (opening windows without or with wrong timestamps).
>> It seems that it triggers sometimes for some applications, and not for
>> others. From me as a user point of view, it is quite random if i am going to
>> get a notification that i have to click on or not. Is there any pattern or
>> reason as to when the notification shows up?
>>
>> For example, i am getting it with geary when i click on the notification
>> telling me that a have gotten a new email, then i have to click the "geary
>> is ready" notification.
> That's a bug ... the "new mail" notification action should supply a
> correct timestamp. In that case its either a gnome-shell or geary bug
> (can't recall how notification actions are handled right now).
>
> Anyways when you find bugs like this please file them ... installing
> an extension to paper over issues is not really a fix.
I understand that, but when there are several cases where I see the
notification including

* opening a file i just downloaded in firefox causes the notification to
appear
* starting a gui app from the terminal

all result in a notification that i need to subsequently click on, even
though i haven't changed focus of any window after I made the launch
request.

I only noticed the geary one today on my new f21 machine. Also, it's not
clear from the notification as to why it is appearing sporadically, so
it's hard for me as a user to have defined it as a bug with timestamps.

should i file a bug against each application that shows the notification?

regards,
ryanlerch