Underlying DE for the Workstation product, Desktop -vs- Workstation

Lars Seipel lars.seipel at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 19:51:51 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 01, 2014 at 12:42:12PM -0500, Alex GS wrote:
> it should be a TRUE workstation-class product.

You mean RISC CPUs and a proprietary Unix? ;-)

> Fedora Workstation = Core + Mate (Gnome 2 + Compton and/or Mutter)

That's just not feasible. Even though our MATE maintainers invest a
great amount of effort to keep it going, there just aren't enough of
them to maintain a collection of software as big as Gnome 2 as Fedora's
primary desktop.

Now looking at upstream MATE's git there are two people working on it in
a regular manner (hope I didn't miss someone) and MATE relies on a whole
bunch of stuff that is dead upstream …

They have to play catch-up for a while before they can even start to
innovate. Not exactly a good match for Fedora, right?

Lars