Underlying DE for the Workstation product, Desktop -vs- Workstation

Alex GS alxgrtnstrngl at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 20:56:58 UTC 2014

You completely missed the whole point of my post.

> You wrote:
> That's just not feasible. Even though our MATE maintainers invest a
> great amount of effort to keep it going, there just aren't enough of
> them to maintain a collection of software as big as Gnome 2 as Fedora's
> primary desktop.

It will involve equal development resources and effort to adapt Gnome 3
Shell to the Workstation use-case and the traditional workstation metaphor.
Workstation's have a totally different set of requirements and expectations
than Desktops.  You can't play around with the UI/UX at all with a
Workstation, it has a conservative nature.

You wrote:
> innovate. Not exactly a good match for Fedora, right?

They have to play catch-up for a while before they can even start to

Most workstation users today either use Mac OS, Windows 7 or if they're on
Linux they're still using Gnome 2 in older versions of RHEL.  The point is
that if you intend on having a meaningful user-base moving to anything but
Gnome 2 and the traditional desktop metaphor is not possible with this
product.

Try telling Windows workstation users to abandon Windows 7 and jump to
Windows 8 and you'll see what I mean.

One of the major goals of the Workstation PRD was:

Work towards standardizing and unifying the Linux desktop space

link: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Workstation_PRD

Gnome 2 has several "modern" different forks; Unity, Cinnamon and Gnome
Shell.  These have all resulted in a Linux desktop space that's fragmented
and in serious decline. If you intend on unifying the desktop space you
have to start at square one, back to Gnome 2.  Mate is currently moving to
GTK 3 and when that happens which is soon, you'll be able to start bringing
current Gnome programs and make then integrate better.

In the next major release of MATE it is going to support GTK3 while still

link: http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/status:gtk