Underlying DE for the Workstation product

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 16:30:15 UTC 2014

On 02/03/2014 04:08 PM, Christian Schaller wrote:
> Well first of all I have not advocated for banning any desktops from Fedora,
> this discussion is not about deleting packages from the Fedora repository.
> And I realize that some users will make the choice to use something else
> than our default setup.
>
> But that doesn't invalidate the value of having a default, focusing development
> resources on the default and expecting any alternative solutions to be able to
> productively co-exist with the default. Because a lot of end users couldn't care
> less about the 10 different desktops available, they just want something that works
> with their hardware and software. And if we know the top 10 feature requests we have a
> realistic chance of doing something about it as we don't have to consider trying to do it 10
> places or work around 10 sets of different desktop quirks and bugs.
>
> To me this is a cornerstone of what the products are meant to be about, trying to do active
> development of an identified product as opposed to just passively packaging whatever a
> series of upstreams happens to provide.

You do realize we are an distribution that represents "upstream" in the
larger GNU/Linux eco system and as such our "target users" are users
that participate and contribute *back* to the community not the
"consuming end user" we leave those for ubuntu.

You are excluding contributing back users with the action of elevating
one application or application stack over another we ship since in the
end of the day those users are the ones that collectively come together
and make magic and innovation happen within the community which is what
spins did and still do for the project thou as has become apparent many
do not see them as "products" since they are not the "right products" .

JBG