Underlying DE for the Workstation product

Christian Schaller cschalle at redhat.com
Mon Feb 3 16:08:23 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

Well first of all I have not advocated for banning any desktops from Fedora,
this discussion is not about deleting packages from the Fedora repository.
And I realize that some users will make the choice to use something else
than our default setup.

But that doesn't invalidate the value of having a default, focusing development
resources on the default and expecting any alternative solutions to be able to
productively co-exist with the default. Because a lot of end users couldn't care
less about the 10 different desktops available, they just want something that works
with their hardware and software. And if we know the top 10 feature requests we have a
realistic chance of doing something about it as we don't have to consider trying to do it 10
places or work around 10 sets of different desktop quirks and bugs.

To me this is a cornerstone of what the products are meant to be about, trying to do active
development of an identified product as opposed to just passively packaging whatever a
series of upstreams happens to provide.

Christian