DE discussion summary

Dan Mashal dan.mashal at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 03:21:16 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 6:57 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
<johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/11/2014 01:35 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:

>>> Are you saying that only these three working groups can and will be
>>> promoted leaving no room for other "official" released and promoted
>>> desktop products to (co)exist?
>>
>> No. He's not saying that. And multiple people have already said
>> explicitly that this is not what's happening. Why do you keep asking?
>

> You are the one that it's claiming that's not happening to me he implied
> otherwise that's why I asked him.
>
> If that is not the case as you strongly imply the answer to the workstation
> solution is simple.
>
> An "Desktop WG" can be formed that consist of members from all the other
> desktop environment other then the one that gets "chosen" for the
> workstation working group or simply by those that have been passionate on
> this thread and that desktop working group can work on delivering the
> desktop experience for Fedora be branded as such and be released along with
> the rest of the WG's.
>
> That effort should not take more then a ticket with Fesco and they assign a
> liason to that working group so Alexander,Dan simply put that to the test ;)

Why waste my time? I know better. I will however, chip in my worthless
opinion here because freedom of speech, right?

I know that Gnome 3 is going to get picked.

You literally have like 20 Gnome developers/red hat employees/fanboys
on this list shouting about how Gnome should be the default DE.

And it will.

Power in numbers my friend.

Why give myself something extra to worry about? Extra meetings at
really bad times that I'll never make because I'm in the pacific time
zone?

We have put out a solid MATE product in Fedora since Fedora 16 and a
spin since Fedora 19 with a big thanks to the KDE guy, Rex Dieter.

The fact that Red Hat themselves chose Gnome Classic for RHEL7 says a
lot in itself. No offense, but it's a fact! Gnome 3 is quite obviously
a serious WORK IN PROGRESS. Including but not limited to design
choices made by developers that a lot of people disagree with. People
actually trying to say "OK I give up let me try to get used to this
gnome-shell thing".

Just like Gnome 2 took 14 Fedora releases+ to get to where it was so
will Gnome 3 most likely as well. I don't care how many developers
they have, it NEEDS WORK, which will require time.

I keep saying this over and over. Maybe I'm the idiot here:

Get rid of the "default". It's stupid. People running Fedora aren't.
Stop treating them so.

Sure we get plenty of noobs coming in to #Fedora daily, but a lot of
them are dealing with guess what, Gnome bugs.

So even with our QA process as it is, and according to Adam it will be
even further burdened by Fedora.next.

Unless Red Hat decides to hire some people there will be even more
bugs due to a QA team with even less resources than before and there
will be even less bugs caught by QA who is in a constant mad dash to
match a 6 month release cycle.

Why waste my time with this madness?

Gnome 3 is going to get picked, and that's that.

Is it "the most viable"? Any idiot knows that a product that isn't
complete that it's NOT the best choice.

Something mature like KDE, XFCE, or MATE would be the "best" choice.

But why choose something mature? Why choose something in the actual
best interest of Fedora?

Then again, in my opinion is there is no "best" choice!

Basically, my opinion is "choose your own adventure".

Look at popular distributions such as Linux Mint. You go to the front
page and you see Cinnamon, MATE, KDE, and XFCE. They don't hide their
various flavors of their distribution like we do. They ADVERTISE it.
They ADVERTISE choice to their users. And guess what, people want
choice. Which is not something that is really advertised by the Fedora
website. Yeah, I've heard there's a redesign in the works, but I'm
speaking about the current website which has been up there for a long
time.

How can such a popular distribution survive without Gnome? You tell me.

Dan