The vision for the Fedora Workstation

Christian Schaller cschalle at redhat.com
Tue Feb 11 10:10:22 UTC 2014

To be clear no bugs will be rejected, but the reality is that
at least as far as Red Hat engineers are concerned most
of their time is spent on RHEL bugs. The remaining time is then
split between upstream feature development, upstream bug reports,
fedora maintenance work and fedora bug reports. Not surprisingly
the amount of time available for each task tend to be very limited.
Which means developers tend to go into a mode of hard prioritization,
using tools like retrace to pick important crashers affecting a lot of
people and also skip over bugs on 'weird' systems if it is not obvious
on first glance what the issue is, simply because they don't want to
risk spending the limited time they have available on those Fedora bugs
that have a higher likelihood to be an user error.

Ideally of course all bugs should be looked at and investigated,
but in terms of time available that is simply not realistic.

Of course the Fedora community can and are helping here, both in terms
of helping with triaging, but of course also in terms of actually
fixing bugs. Individual contributors will of course have their
own motivations for what issues they get involved with or not.

Christian