Drop nm-connection-editor?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 00:05:00 UTC 2014

>> > Now I'm thinking about this, IIRC anaconda depends on it, so even if you
>> > remove the dep from GNOME itself, live installs will still have it
>> > present after installation. You can remove anaconda post-install, but
>> > most people don't.
>>
>> It probably should remove itself and other stuff like
>> "livesys.service" after install.
>
> It actually needs to be installed at least for first boot on non-GNOME
> systems because the new initial-setup is based on anaconda and genuinely
> depends on it. In theory we could safely remove it post-live install but
> pre-first boot *only for GNOME*, but at that point things are getting a
> bit special case-y.

With F-20 as a pure gnome user I still resort to it more than I feel I
should on my laptop with my use of VPN/wifi/3G/tethered/ethernet and
other use cases. As adam points out it's still a dependency of
install. I don't feel that it adds anything in terms of space and it's
as useful tools like grep that I feel shouldn't be used. Shove it into
sundry or somewhere it's not easily found but when stuff in some
random place trying to get a network connection it's often too useful!

Peter