FESCo Workstation PRD follow up questions

Alberto Ruiz aruiz at redhat.com
Wed Jan 29 13:08:56 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-29 at 04:59 -0500, Christian Schaller wrote:
> > 2) What is the actual deliverable and delivery mechanism for Workstation?
> >
> > This is asking how we intend to ship the Workstation product.  ISO,
> > live USB image, something else?
>
> There is no plan to change this from what has been the primary delivery methods of
> Fedora so far. That said I think the emphasis will need to change where a USB sticks
> is the primary medium and DVDs the secondary.

Two notes in this regard:

1) If we are going the USB way (which I think is the way to go as many
laptops are removing CD/DVD and we also save some trees in the
meantime), we should look at ways to improve the USB creation experience
and documetnation wrt to the current state. I would make it a priority
to focus on making it specially easy for Windows and Mac OS X users.

2) I would remove the DVD install-only option. Focusing only the
installable Live media. The reason for this suggestion is that it would
remove the amount of media we have to test and release and that it will
reduce that confusing choice for users (if you're new it's hard to
figure out which option is best or whether it matters at all).

It might be worth keeping the DVD somewhere but I wouldn't keep it as a
visible way to install the workstation product.

My two cents :-)

--
Cheers,
Alberto Ruiz