Underlying DE for the Workstation product

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 30 21:13:50 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Lynn Dixon <boodaddy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would vote for Cinnamon as the default DE.  If not Cinnamon, then KDE
> would be my next choice.

Thanks for replying!

The thread isn't intended to be a popularity vote.  I'm sure everyone
has their favorite DE that they'd like to see as the basis for
Workstation.  If you have compelling reasons that Cinnamon should be
that underlying DE, I'd encourage you to bring them forward and
present a well reasoned rationale.  Those kinds of details are
important in the consideration, not just personal preference.

I will admit that my initial thread didn't list the reasoning behind
GNOME, so I'm somewhat guilty of that myself.  I was coming from that
stance that this has been debated numerous times within the Fedora
project and I was hoping to avoid a rehash on the strong position
GNOME occupies in our project.  In short, they boil down to man power,
upstream contribution, familiarity, and continued testing based on
previous releases of Fedora.  I'm certain that there are others in the
WG that can expand on that if _really_ required, but I would like it
if we could avoid duplicating years worth of discussion.

josh