hw requirements

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 14:42:21 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 03:40:27PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > - Input
> >
> > Do we require at least one PS/2 or USB input device, or will we work with
> > bluetooth-only or touchscreen-only devices?
>
> Where devices support the hid boot protocol over Bluetooth, and where we
> can deal with the handover between the firmware and a real driver,

We don't. But we don't enable the hid to hci script by default, so they
should keep working in boot mode.

We lack tech specs for the various chips that implement this sort of saving
of linkkeys into the adapter itself, so we cannot provide adequate support
for them.

> think we should certainly aim to support that. We've talked about making
> efforts to support Apple hardware, and a lot of that tends to be
> bluetooth-only. Touchscreen-only sounds trickier.

Touchscreen will be difficult to use, but should not be impossible. Right now
it would require opening the status menu, selecting settings, going to
Universal Access and enabling the OSK.

The (much maligned) cursor plugin in gnome-settings-daemon exports a property
to request the OSK to be shown in gnome-shell:
gdbus introspect --session --dest org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Cursor --object-path /org/gnome/SettingsDaemon/Cursor

I don't think it's hooked up yet, and I cannot find the bugs related to that.
David Kind would know.

Cheers